Never Buy Honda (with Takata Airbag) the Most Unsafe Car in Malaysia

Honda Malaysia confirms two Takata airbag ruptures in April, May 2016 – official statement

Honda Malaysia has confirmed that the Takata single stage (SDI) driver’s airbag inflators ruptured in two crashes in the country that occurred in April and May this year. Both crashes, unfortunately, involved fatalities.

In the April 16, 2016 crash that took place in Sabah, the driver’s airbag inflator ruptured in the crash of a 2006 Honda City. The vehicle involved was included in a recall to replace the defective airbag that Honda Malaysia announced on May 21, 2015.

As for the second case, the driver-side airbag of a 2003 Honda City ruptured in a crash that occurred in Kedah on May 1, 2016. Similar to the April 2016 crash, the vehicle involved was also included in a product recall that was announced on December 8, 2014.

Both cases have been confirmed during an inspection with the Royal Malaysia Police. Honda Malaysia will communicate with representatives of the drivers’ families in an effort to resolve their remaining concerns. No names will be released in respect of the families’ privacy.

The unedited statement from Honda Malaysia is provided below:

Honda has confirmed that the Takata single stage (SDI) driver’s airbag inflators ruptured in two crashes in April and May respectively in Malaysia. Both crashes resulted in the tragic deaths of the drivers. No official cause of death has been yet determined for either case. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the families of the drivers during this difficult time.

1) A crash on April 16, 2016, in Sabah state

Honda has confirmed during an inspection with the Royal Malaysia Police that the Takata single stage (SDI) driver’s airbag inflator ruptured in the crash of a 2006 Honda City on April 16, 2016, in Sabah state. The vehicle involved in this crash was included in a Malaysian Product Update (recall) announced on May 21, 2015, requiring replacement of the SDI inflator of the Takata driver’s front airbag.

2) A crash on May 1, 2016, in Kedah state

Honda has confirmed during an inspection with the Royal Malaysia Police that the Takata single stage (SDI) driver’s airbag inflator ruptured in the crash of a 2003 Honda City on May 1, 2016, in Kedah state. The vehicle involved in this crash was included in a Malaysian Product Update (recall) announced on December 8, 2014, requiring replacement of the SDI inflator of the Takata driver’s front airbag.

Honda is communicating with representatives of the drivers’ families in an effort to resolve their remaining concerns. Out of respect for the families, Honda will not provide any personal information.

It is imperative that vehicles owners check if their vehicles are listed as part of any product recalls by Honda Malaysia by referring to the official product update page, here. The page will also guide you on how to look for your vehicle’s VIN number, which is required to check if your vehicle is affected.

Customers can also check their vehicle’s product update status by calling Honda’s Toll Free number at 1-800-88-2020 or visit any authorised Honda dealer.

Source: paultan.org

Malaysian woman dies after airbag ruptures in accident

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — A Malaysian woman has died after the airbag in her Honda City ruptured in a minor collision, a safety official said Monday.

The incident Sunday came days after Honda Malaysia announced an additional recall of more than 145,000 vehicles to replace defective front passenger airbag inflators.

Fire and rescue official Rosdi Hainan said the steering-wheel airbag had ruptured when he arrived at the site of the accident, and the victim was bleeding from her chest.

Rosdi said the woman died a short time later.

Honda officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

There has been a massive recall involving millions of vehicles around the world because of faulty inflator and propellant devices that may deploy improperly in an accident, shooting out metal fragments that can injure or kill.

Worldwide, 11 known deaths and more than 100 injuries have been blamed on exploding Takata-made airbag inflators

In November last year, a 43-year-old pregnant Malaysian housewife was killed after a collision activated the airbag in her Honda. Honda also confirmed two other deaths that are linked to airbag issues in April and May this year.

Source: AP

Rowland Chin: honda , you have the responsibility to change the affected airbags, there is an accident reported on the star today regarding the city and it has high chance it is the airbag

WK Wong: Honda customer is dying out there for their cheaplak airbag. Salesman still selling happily counting commission every month end. Customer is taking risk for every km they drive.

HP Tan: Honda quality at malaysia suck, Toyota quality more trusted

Gurmeet Sandhu: Keep replacing the airbags, i hv all the time in the world to spend at Honda service centres.

Pad Man: In recent death relating Takata airbag, I think the whole of Honda Malaysia office should get fired ( assuming they are too proud and thick skinned to resign). Need a full overhaul as Honda Malaysia is infested already with rogue and corrupted execs and dealers who will spin, twist, and manipulate consumers so they can have a laugh and a party and talk about how good their products are. This is no way to sell a mass produce consumer’s car. How can Honda Malaysia make a statement to say they have emailed the victim three times already hence it is not really their fault if she dies? This is cold, heartless, and deserves a good kicking in any culture or standard.

Honda Malaysia confirms latest Takata airbag-related death – three recall notices already sent to City owner

Honda Malaysia has officially confirmed that the Takata single stage (SDI) driver’s airbag inflator in a 2005 Honda City ruptured in a crash on June 26, which resulted in the tragic death of the driver. No official cause of death has been yet determined.

The vehicle involved in this crash was included in a Malaysian recall announced on May 21, 2015, requiring replacement of the Takata SDI inflator of the driver’s front airbag.

Honda said that since 2015, the vehicle involved in this crash has been included in both driver’s Takata airbag inflator and passenger’s Takata airbag inflator recalls. Three mailed recall notices related to those recalls were sent to the owner, and the company says that its records indicate that the recall repair was never completed.

The company says it is communicating with representatives of the driver’s family in an effort to resolve their remaining concerns. Out of respect for the family, Honda will not provide any personal information.

Honda Malaysia added that it continues to urge owners of Honda vehicles affected by the Takata airbag inflator product recall to get their vehicles repaired at authorised dealers as soon as possible. Vehicle owners can check their vehicles’ product recall status via the company’s online VIN checker or call the company’s hotline number at 1-800-88-2020 for information, or visit any Honda authorised dealers.

Source: paultan.org

Kev: even 100 recall notice has sent to owner is useless. You honda malaysia is out of stock on takata airbag replacement. im been waiting it for months… u are talking nonsense…

Jeffrey Ng: What about second-hand cars? The recall notification letters may not reach the new owners at all.

Personally, the recall notification letter for my car arrived around the day I was supposed to trade in my Honda. I passed on the letter to the new car sales person and informed him to pass it on to the used car dealer. I’m not sure whether or not the new owner is aware about it.

It may sound extreme but maybe all the affected carmakers should work with JPJ to have some kind of mechanism to temporarily red flag the affected chassis number when doing the ownership transfer of these cars. The new owners’ address would be made available to the carmakers and the carmakers can send a mobile team to find the car and replace the affected airbags at the owners’ premises.

Also, matters of such severity should have used red coloured paper and envelope instead of white colour. A more direct “LIFE WARNING” should be printed in bold with big font size in multiple languages. Honda Malaysia may want to take note on this.

In matters of such severity, carmakers should actively and aggresively reach out to look for the owners instead of waiting for owners to respond.

Honda city black 2010: Hi paultan n all readers,

I have recently received the letter referring to the airbag call back for my black 2010 honda city which i have already sold. I urged all buyers of 2nd hand vehicles to check thier VIN numbers with Honda or any other manufacturers that are affected.

Especially to the buyer of my previous honda city.

PS: Concerned previous owner

Patr: Honda is taking their sweet time and insisting on having the ORIGINAL letter before proceeding for repairs…WHY???

No letter means NO REPAIRS!!!

Dont they have a database to check and why 2 recalls to fix what is a single issue.

Why must they wait until fatalities before showing some urgency!?

TERRIBLE

Kunta Kinte: Honda is owned by the Government. Just like Toyota is owned by the Government and their cars have no VSC, which is a dangerous safety hazard.

Our Government don’t care whether you die or live. Janji they untung lebih at the expense of your safety. If Honda had a chance, they won’t even bother replacing it.

That is how our Government thinks. Go look at all the buildings in Putrajaya. There is so much of leaking even until the roof also can collapse and kill people. But the Government not bothered about safety. Janji they can build a big project and many can sapu money. Maintenance is the last and unimportant.

Unless maintenance also, the crony contractor can make money. Then, he gives inferior parts or materials and sapu the bulk money.

Welcome to Malaysia!

Kunta Kinte: This is a classic example of the problems arising when a government practically owns ALL the car companies.

Now, the rakyat got to suffer with long waiting list to get the airbag changed. What happens if I meet an accident in the meantime and die? Honda Malaysia already washed their hands now since they already sent official letters.

And we have no where to complain to. Cause Honda is owned by the Government via DRB Hicom, there is no avenue or ombudsman where we can complain to. In other countries, their rakyat can complain to the Government and the Government will take action. Like in the USA, Government themselves prosecuted VW and Toyota without any complaints from their rakyat.

In Malaysia, you try to sue Honda if your wife die due to Takata airbag failure in your Honda, the judge with no balls will throw your case out of court!

Lam: There seems to be a disconnect on the urgency of the repairs between Honda and its authorized service centres. My wife just called Vivahill Penang and the person there told my wife the letter from Honda is required for them to change the airbags in the City. Luckily we have received the letter and made the appointment. We still had to wait for a few days.

As for me and my yer olde Accord, I have not received any letter from Honda yet so I guess I will have to wait a bit having only registered my chassis number at the Honda website today.

Zulkifli Mohamed: Honda try to blame the owner…very irresponsible… victim’s sister said they already booked to replace the airbag, but Honda gave date after Hari raya due to no stock…You make recall, but no stock,what a stupid move…

Daniel Teh: I can attest to that. They asked me to come after Raya too. Send me letter last week then tell me only available after Raya. How to drive peacefully?

Hakims Hajime: Nasib baik gua pakai saga orion spesel edisen…xde problem2 airbag deploy bagai…sekali eksiden terus enjin parking atas riba…korang apa tau…?

Jason Mah: I think soon a group of Honda owners will bring Honda malaysia to court

Elvin Tai: If you all really study well about the Takata Airbags, it’s not only Honda but Toyota, VW, Ford, Mitsubishi and a lot more manufacturers worldwide also using the Takata airbags… But unfortunately, the incidents happened to those Honda owners in Malaysia… If really wanted to blame but why ppl not blame the Takata factory that supplied the airbags?

Leon Lay: Yes… we blaming takada. But car manufacturer is responsible of this too. At least put highest priority to change or temp disable it… now honda ask people wait letter… wtf

Wan Mohd Akmal: same issue with Proton power window problem. So why u do not blame the company supplied power window to Proton? Bais?

Kian Huei: This is a flawed argument. Bear in mind affected consumers purchase a complete functional car from Honda, they didn’t purchase airbag(s) from Takata. It is obvious Honda has to bear full responsibility on this matter. If your purchased fresh milk was sour; will you blame the supermarket or the cow?

Vincent Lim: One important suggestion. Why not Honda take out those airbag first while waiting for replacement ? Those air bags felt like time bomb in the car.