Touch 'n Go Malaysia Mistakenly Charged RM50 for a RM10 Highway Toll - Smart TAG & Touch 'n Go Users Beware!

Sai Yew Lee:
Are you a Smart TAG or Touch n’Go user? Must Read!

How genuine are Plus Highway and Touch n’Go? I have never doubt it until recently … (Share this to create more awareness!)

Touch 'n Go card can be used as a mode of payment for highways, public transports, selected parking, retail and theme parks. Each time a user uses the Touch 'n Go card, the electronic card reader will deduct the exact fare from the value stored inside the card.

The above statement is taken from Touch n’Go official website.

Here comes the story,

I am a ‘Smart TAG’ user. On the 1st of June 2016 I drove from Jln. Duta and exited through Rawang Selatan toll. As usual, sometimes I may and sometimes I may not even pay attention to the amount deducted from my ‘Smart TAG’. This time, however, the balance amount flashed on the display caught my attention. The initial value stored inside my card was over RM 1XX.XX and was suddenly dropped to RM5X.XX; which means Plus Highway charged me more than RM50.00 for a less than RM10.00 trip. I immediately called Touch n’ Go and later Plus Highway. Both companies gave me the same answer which sounded like this ‘Oh … this is very common … as the magnetic reader might be faulty … you may go to any Plus office to get an immediate refund’ … This doesn’t sound good to me… I asked both companies that if I didn’t notice the wrong amount being deducted from my card, what will your company do? … and their answer was ‘If you don’t complain we won’t know and there will be no refund’ … I think I have shared enough … Below are a few questions posted for you:

Just imagine if there are 10000 car users passed through the same smart TAG reader?

Have Plus Highway and Touch n’Go done enough to protect our interests? (Where are their social responsibilities?)

Both companies were giving me no other solution but forcing me to drive to their office for a refund. Is it fair?

This incident makes me recall how many times my Smart TAG amount has suddenly deducted substantially which I have never doubted before … will this alert you too …???

Touch 'n Go Malaysia: A reply posted by En Syahrunizam Samsudin, CEO of Touch 'n Go Sdn Bhd.

Akmal Fahmi: Jangan sembang la touch and go. My case touch n go deduct over charge parking…nak refund almost 2 month…kena follow up seniri dengan parking management semua bangai…bila tanya CS touch n go ckp emel ke management parking tapi tak reply …ko ingat management parking tengok sangat ke emel pe bagai…call la bingai… Nak refund 30 hengget pon mcm nak mintak sedekah sejuta…

Ah Latif Abu: TnGo… jz give us a better quality Smartag. U are cheating your customers with the current product

Indy Khurana: So how do you return the money back to many users who have not noticed this anomaly to regain your lost trust and integrity?

Chandra Malar: I also faced a similar situation at KTM komuter station. Overcharge of fare happened, and i wasnt able to proceed to my next journey via lrt because of insufficient fund. It caused alot of embarassing stares and also stress, with the unavailability of touch n go top up at the counter. Imagine if this happen to a mere student who has very little cash, and relied the card to travel.

Yeah, i was reimbursed, but the hassle is not something im happy about. Anyway, this might be another rare case, but what if the millions of transaction that you claim that has no issues, is actually because the users didnt realise the amount being deducted. In this busy world, all goes fast fast fast!!!

Touch 'n Go Malaysia: Hi Chandra Malar. Thank you for your detail information on the events that have caused disappointment and inconvenience to you. In the case of train fare deduction through Touch 'n Go card, the occurrence of maximum charge may be due to ‘system error’ or failure of user to adhere to proper card usage such as,

1. The card did not have complete transaction (‘touch in’ and ‘touch out’ for previous journey either at KTM-Komuter, LRTs or Monorail) when touch for the new journey.
  2. ‘Touch in’ and ‘touch out’ at the same station after more than 1/2 hour
  3. ‘Touch in’ at the originating and ‘touch out’ at the exit station execeeded time limit (> 4 hours)
  4. Touch more than once at the reader upon entry & exit station

We are apologize for any inconvenience caused and look forward for your continuous support to us. - Hamli